boiler repairs BarnsleyThe importance of looking after a property you let out, including regularly servicing boilers, has been highlighted after a landlord was hit with a £16,120 fine for letting his tenants live in dangerous conditions.

Harrow Council sent environmental protection officers to take a look at the home owned by Kanagaratnam Kesavan in Rayners Lane, Harrow, after a resident complained to the local authority.

During their inspection, they discovered electrical hazards, broken windows, faulty sockets, broken kitchen unit doors, missing tiles, a leaking tap, exposed wiring and defective cooker, all of which would have been dangerous or unhygienic for the family who lived in the property.

Councillor Graham Henson, who is responsible for environment, crime and community safety at the council, said he was “shocked” at the state of the property and that it was in “dangerous and life threatening disrepair”.

He added: “Kesavan showed no interest in the safety of his tenants nor did he bother to discuss the notices issued to him by the council.”

The landlord was initially sent two warnings under the Housing Act 2004 regarding the health and safety hazards.

Following this, he was issued two more notices under the Environmental Protection Act about a faulty boiler and a toilet that leaked water into the kitchen below.

Last month, he pleaded guilty at Willesden Magistrates Court for his failure to provide maintenance to the property and for letting his tenants live in unsanitary and unsafe conditions.

This comes after landlord Duran Akbulut was given an eight-week suspended sentence for not having a gas boiler safety certificate issued by a Gas Safe Register engineer for one of his London properties, failing in his duty to provide a safe place for his tenants to live.