Blue flames inside of a boiler

A “rickety window” has been credited by SNP MP John McNally for saving his life from carbon monoxide poisoning produced by a faulty boiler in his rented house in London.

According to the Sunday Post, Mr McNally was suffering from headaches and lethargy for quite some time as a result of dangerous fumes being given off by his boiler. And it wasn’t until the leak was found that it was discovered he likely only survived because a poorly fitted window pane was letting fresh air in.

“The windows in the flat didn’t close properly and I’d been trying to fix them. What I didn’t realise was that they were ventilating the place which ultimately saved my life. It was only when I mentioned my symptoms to a friend that they urged me to get the boiler checked.

The gas engineer confirmed it needed urgent repairs and carried them out on the spot,” he was quoted by the news source as saying.

Signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include dull headaches, nausea or vomiting, dizziness, weakness, confusion, loss of consciousness, shortness of breath, blurred vision and confusion. If you feel you are exhibiting signs of any of these, it could certainly be worth calling out a boiler repairs specialist to come and check your gas appliances over just in case.

Depending on the length of exposure, carbon monoxide poisoning can cause heart damage, permanent brain damage and in the most severe of cases, even death. As you can see, it pays to be vigilant where your boiler is concerned and also have a carbon monoxide alarm installed.