Does your plumber have the correct credentialsTo goes without saying that if you’re having work done in your home that you expect it done to the very best standards and workmanship, but how do you know that the heating engineer or plumber attending is up to the job?

Experience might be something you look for, but in this industry experience is just not enough and the tradesman or woman will need to have the correct accreditations to be working on your appliances, systems and pipe work.

The two main accreditations you need to be asking for are: –

Anyone working on any gas appliance, be that your boiler, cooker or fire needs to be, by law, Gas Safe Registered and they will have carry a Gas Safe Register ID card with their own unique licence number, showing the type of gas work they are qualified to do.  You can further verify their ID by visiting the Check an Engineer page on the Gas Safe Website.  You can also text Gas followed by the engineer’s licence number to 85080 or call Gas Safe free on 0800 408 5500.

All Gas Safe Registered people will have to attend a Gas Safe Course every 4 years to maintain their registration and every time they work on any gas appliance they are required to sign off their work before reconnecting back to the gas supply, this way ensuring that any work undertaken can be traced directly back to the heating engineer or plumber who has carried out the work.

Anyone working on just pipework such as fitting bathrooms, sinks, drainage or taps does not need to be registered or accredited to any standard, however it is highly recommended that at the very least they are CIPHE Accredited, as this ensures that they follow a code of professional standards and protects you the customer should you have any cause for concern after the work has been carried out.

All CIPHE Accredited people will hold an official CIPHE ID Card with their own unique licence number, you can further verify their ID by visiting the Verify Member page on the CIPHE website.

Any professional tradesperson will have one or both of these accreditations, and they give you the peace of mind that the work they are carrying out is to a high, safe standard.  Remember, if they are working with anything gas related, then the Gas Safe Registered is a legal requirement.